We feel reducing plastic is not only incredibly important for the health of our planet, but also just very convenient once you get used to it. A good example of this would be carrying your own bottle instead of buying bottled drinks, there are no bottles to get rid of, that take up the precious space that you can now use for more enjoyable things. Filling a bottle with water, at least here in Iceland, is free, while bottled water and other drinks cost money. You end up drinking more water and less soda which obviously is good for your health.
Similar things can be said about so many other aspects of living a less wasteful lifestyle. Who doesn’t like having less trash around anyway? Most single-use items have a reusable counterpart that will end up saving you money in the long term.
There are so many different ways you can reduce plastic and other single-use items in your life. Here are some of the ways we already use or aspire to do
- Reusable bottles instead of bottled water, look for ones made of glass, metal or BPA free plastic ones
- Pay attention to plastics in cosmetics, many kinds of toothpaste and face washes, for example, contain plastic and it should be easy to find plastic-free products to replace them with
- Carrying a reusable bag instead of taking plastic bags from the store
- Saying no to straws and single-use cutlery and instead use for example metal straws and regular cutlery
- Use a bento box instead of sandwich bags